Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Replace Sorrow

Today I read a story about a man and a woman who had been married for sixty-four years. When someone asked the man how he was doing a few months after his wife had passed away he said this: "I am lonely, but I'm not lonesome." What does it mean? What is the difference? The man was sad that his darling wife had passed away, but he had done something to make it feel better, make himself feel better. He had replaced sorrow with "service and had displaced self-pity with selfless love."

I think it is important to work through our pains and replace it with something that does bring happiness. If we stop focusing on the sadness and work to help others, it will make us happier and stronger. We will be able to overcome anything that confronts us in our lives. I think I may have said this before, but I do believe it is true. All we have to do is work hard to help others and we will find the happiness we need to push through our own trials.
-gracie

No comments:

Post a Comment