Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Becoming the Friend you Want

I think we all go through those times where we just can't seem to stay in one mood for too long. Those days that are just a bit crazy, or where you just are not quite that happy? Well, I can tell you I know we all go through those times. Everyone, even those who seem the happiest all the time, has those moments.

How do we get through those times?

I think friends do. Friends and Family.

Today I realized that little things matter. I was a little lonely, missing my closest friends from the school year. I was having a hard time. But what do you know? Friends were there to help. My roommate from earlier in the school year (and my future roommate too :) we don't plan on changing anything throughout school) started chatting with me and asking about things we did over the school year together. I had no clue why. Then a few minutes later she sent me a photo of us two laughing really hard, which she had put words and phrases all over it describing our year together. I can't tell you how happy it made me that she was there trying to make me happy.

Something else that happened today that made me happy was calling home specifically to talk to my little brother. I love that kid to death. I didn't realize that we'd actually have a descent conversation, but we did! It was like we were talking as if we were close friends. It meant the world to me.

Two small things.
A big difference.

We don't only need to have good friends, we have to be good friends to others. I can't say I am the perfect friend. But I am working at it. If we start acting like the friend we would like in our lives, I can tell you now that you will find those that will make the biggest difference in your life. Try in little ways to become a better friend to others. If you are the one having a hard time, remember that others have those times and need friends too. Be the person you would want in your saddest hour.

Become the friend that you want in your life.
You will find that it will make a difference.
I promise.
-gracie

No comments:

Post a Comment